The Overseas Zone of the Hipihi forums had this important announcement for Hipihi users:
HiPiHi World New Naming System Public Announcement
And Re-registration notification
HiPiHi World’s Beta test has brought to light a number of problems and limitations regarding the original naming system, and we have also received a lot of valuable feedback to the forum posting “HiPiHi World New Naming System” (19 January 2008).
The naming system is the basis of HiPiHi World’s social and credibility system, as well as every resident’s intangible asset. After compiling opinions and discussions, we have reached a consensus to launch a new naming system in the upcoming public test. Here are the Objective, Principle, and Implementation of this new naming system, please take some time to go through it and feel free to drop us a note on what you think.
HiPiHi World New Naming System: Objective, Principle, Implementation
1) Standardize the naming system
2) Facilitate and promote interactions between global multilingual residents
3) Establish a credibility system related to user names
4) Give the priority of naming right to existing residents
1) The new user name consists of two parts: Username and Nickname. They both have to be unique.
Username is the same idea as “account number”, it may contain characters (a-z), numbers(0-9), symbols (-) and (_);
Nickname is your name in HiPiHi world, it has to be between 6-16 characters, which may contain the language of your local settings (e.g. simplified Chinese), characters (a-z), numbers(0-9), symbols (-) and (_);
Both parts are unique; you login with your Username.
2) You may not change your User ID or Nickname once registration is done.
3) Residents can define the way others’ names are displayed , choose either nickname or username.
4) early resident have the exclusive privilege of using this new naming system ahead of the public-beta.
5) We will try our best to protect all existing residents’ property.
We will provide certain channels for reclaiming in-world assets, should an existing resident fails to re-register within the given time period, and their user name gets registered by someone else.
In order to ensure existing residents’ priority on naming rights, implementation will have the following stages:
a) Apply for “brand name protection campaign for 18 close beta testers” （April 1st 2008—April 17th 2008）
This event is for protecting existing resident’s name brand’s sake. We sincerely hope that those residents who has been caring ,helping, supporting other residents’ can keep their name brand. For more details, please refer to the Apply for close beta tester name brand!
b) Re-registration for existing residents，（ April 2nd 2008—April 17th 2008）
Within this time period, existing residents may access the “Change your name” page with their current username and password.
Symbols (like #, *) may no longer be used for the new User ID and Nickname
The new User ID and Nicknames may not be less than 6 Characters
Please make sure you do not use someone else’s existing user name as your new User ID or Nickname.
Resident “John” can change his username to ”John_D”, and the same nickname.
Resident “John_luo” can still use it as his username and nickname.
Resident “*%%Jennis%%” has to change his name to “Jennies”.
c) Open registration for everyone（April 18th 2008）
i. For existing residents who have not completed their re-registration by now, their in-world assets will be kept, however, their user name may be taken by someone else. In-world assets may be recovered with the old user name and password through certain channels.
ii. Once a User ID and a Nickname are registered, in principle, they may not be changed.
iii. The new User ID and Nickname may not contain any symbols other than (-) and (_)。
iv. The new User ID and Nickname may not be less than 6 characters
Names cannot be used as username：wuxu、.wux、wux。
Names can be used as username：wuxuzhiya
Please click on the following link (http://service.hipihi.com/member/oldUserRename/en/oldUserRename.jhtml) to change your name
1. In the New Naming System，User ID or Nickname of less than 3 Chinese characters or 6 English alphabets will be removed. (E.g. “傻兔” , “Johny”)
2. Existing user names may be taken by new registrants after 18 April 2008, when the registration becomes open to everybody. So to ensure you get to keep your user name, PLEASE go to http://www.hipihi.com anytime bewtween 2 April -17 April 2008 to re-register.
from a post at forums.hipihi.com made by happy慧慧(Hi.慧慧)
I had a Google translation of my email about this subject here earlier today. I’m glad this better version of the news about the name system change appeared in the Hipihi forums.